Are you spending enough time flossing each day? Or do you only floss the week before your general dentistry appointment? You may not know the benefits of flossing daily if this is your usual practice. But once you do, you’ll see that spending a few extra minutes on your teeth each day can give you the smile you want and the oral health you need.
At Lovett Dental Meyerland Plaza, we recommend coming in to see your dentist for help learning the best oral hygiene habits.
What Are the Benefits of Flossing Daily?
Flossing is one of the most important components of great oral health. The goal is to use dental floss to remove food particles lodged between the teeth. If these are not removed, they provide food for bacteria, allowing the bacteria to grow at a rapid pace. They also create an increased risk of infection and inflammation. Take a look at some of the following benefits of flossing daily:
- Flossing removes food particles and helps limit the growth rate of bacteria. This allows for lower levels of plaque buildup on the teeth.
- Tooth decay can be prevented by regular flossing. It removes any particles between the teeth that could eat away at the enamel.
- Reducing the bacteria levels, along with the food particles themselves, can help to reduce the amount of odor in the mouth. If you have constant bad breath, this can help you.
- Flossing helps reduce the amount of bacteria present that can cause gum disease, including bleeding and receding gum lines.
When you floss each day, you are working hard to increase your overall oral health. This means less risk of tooth decay, less likelihood of the need to have impacted teeth extracted, and less risk of gum disease. All of this comes from simply investing in your oral health a few minutes each day to floss.
How to Extend the Benefits of Flossing Daily
The benefits of flossing daily are important, but in order for them to make a big difference, you also need to ensure you’re getting other oral health care. This may include:
- Routine visits to your dental care provider for dental exams and x-rays
- Regular professional teeth cleaning at least every six months
- Dental fluoride treatments to further protect the teeth
- Cavity treatment if present including root canal therapy
- Dental fillings and sealant placement to protect vulnerable teeth from cavities
Each one of these steps helps to encourage oral healthy by making it harder for bacteria to grow and flourish. This, along with brushing and flossing your teeth every day after each meal can help to give you the oral health you need.
When you do this, you protect your teeth and gums. You also may minimize the risk of bacteria traveling into the bloodstream to the heart and brain. For many people, it is critical to invest in flossing each day because of just how valuable it is to overall oral health and total wellbeing.
Keep Your Dental Health in Check at Lovett Dental Meyerland Plaza
Protecting your oral health is critical, and it starts with understanding the benefits of flossing daily. Don’t stop there. If you have not had a checkup in some time, now is the time to do so. Let our team at Lovett Dental Meyerland Plaza offer you the help you need. Our services include:
- Emergency dental services
- Pediatric dentistry
- Tooth polishing and teeth whitening
- Dental braces
- Dental implants and dentures